Monday, March 31, 2008

IT'S A LOOK!




We finally got most of our uniforms.   They are missing hats and the socks.  Who knew they had a fire at the sock maker's factory?  Oh well, they are happy to wait.  The last picture shows friends in full uniform.   It's from a different school but almost exactly what my boys complete look should be.  Can you believe that 14 year old boys willingly dress like this?  They iron their own shirts, too.  I'm loving that idea!
Kimberly College is turning out to be a very good experience for the boys.  The jury is still out on their performance compared to their USA peers.  Only moving back will tell us.  All I know is the teachers seem very capable, R and J are so happy to be there, and they are learning.  

They are expected to write 200 words or more a night as well as the 20 min read.  It's been amazing to see how weak the boy's writing skills are.   R's teacher sat down for a 45 min. one on one to explain brainstorming and organizing your thoughts.  I think she even called it a thought map?  While the other kids will continue turning in daily writing he will do his in steps until he has learned the skills he needs.  I loved that.  I might add that he loves writing and has eagerly attacked all of his assignments.  They're finishing up the term this week with a debate on movie censorship, a forum on celeberities and their contributions, and a mock trial.  Not to mention that Wed night we go to their Animaniacs night to watch the kid's animations.  

Jeremy is among the youngest so he gets a little special treatment as well.  At parent teacher conference one of his teacher's explained that she hadn't been able to read his papers.  That's why he has to type everything.   Now if we can just get him to capitalize and puctuate.  Wow. Now that they've been here awhile I have asked the teacher to help make sure he gets a book from the library (we brought hardly any with us) and continues to work on literacy.  Math (they say "mets") is of supreme  importance to Bart so between the two of us and this neat school we may just see the day R and J graduate from high school knowing how to read, write and do a bit of "rithmitic".

It's hard to feel like you know what's going on academically with your kids.  At least for me, I often worry that they won't be prepared for college.  I wonder how stiff the competition will be at that point?  We'll see.  Will they even have the desire to go?  I can say that Kimberly College is the first school where I have seen my kids enjoying their learning.  That's got to be worth something as well!! 


7 comments:

Amy G. said...

Wow! What a blessing you're there then. By the way, Josh's nephew just got called to serve in Adalaide. Is that anywhere near where you are?

Amy G. said...

ok...not his nephew. sorry. His cousin. same difference though.

Nicole said...

Holy mackrel! I always was a sucker for a man in uniform! Not really, but if I lived in Aussie world and I was 10 years younger (or maybe 15) I might think your son looked smashing in that there uniform. Too cute, too cute. Sounds like the school is fabulous.

Heather O. said...

Sorry, I just gotta say it. The hats are dorky.

Just callin' it like it is.

You boys look handsome in everything else, though.

aftonicole said...

Ya, um I can just say I can't do math at all, and I hardly ever read (except for my scriptures ofcourse!), and I'm doing just fine at college, but maybe that just says something about my school.....Your kids will for sure be ahead of the game when they get back. It's even better that they're enjoying it!

Heather said...

What is up with kids and teens not knowing how to capitalize and use punctuation anymore? My kids are going to hate me as I will be a stickler for this. English major - sorry!

The boys look great. I'm always so glad to hear that there are some schools out there that are actually teaching and helping kids enjoy learning!

Trixie said...

Do you have as great a tan as your boys do? What do they do, spend all day by the pool:)? For being school uniforms, they aren't bad. I've seen much worse!