Friday, March 14, 2008

The Gem I Almost Forgot

It amazes me that I could put off posting this experience.  Sometimes a child can change your perspective with a simple phrase.

We had just sat down to a dinner at my parent's house in Joshua Tree, Ca.  Seated at the corner next to Dad's left elbow was our guest, a busy, 3 year old, little girl, Madi.  Her mom was at a church meeting and her dad is in Iraq.  She seemed quite at home and I know my parents have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know their sweet family,  happy to be a support in any way they can, probably even more so because of Dad's service in the Airforce.

From the minute she walked in the door, I noticed that she had my mom hopping to keep up with her.  Into the candy, needing to go potty, looking for toys.  I am afraid I hadn't taken the time, yet, to get to know her as I was distracted by my little nephew.  I was totally unprepared for what this small being would soon teach me.

She was quiet as my dad began to offer a prayer over the meal.  Then we heard a little mumble from her.  Most of us, at that point, assumed she was mimicking my dad's words.  You know how little kids sometimes try to pray at the same time as the adult?  We listened more closely.  "Please," she spoke up this time.  "Please pray for my daddy."  It was a matter of fact, simple request.  Dad stopped mid sentence, then, began to pray specifically and at length for Luke, Madi's daddy.  

In an instant it was more than prayer, more than one little girl, more than just Luke.

She was, in my mind and heart, representing each little child who's parent is gone overseas, serving in the military, to do the job they committed to do.  They see it simply.  Please keep my Dad/Mom safe.  And why shouldn't they expect each of us to keep them in our prayers as well?

Thank you Madi.  I will.  Promise.

4 comments:

Trevor and Liz Covington said...

That was such a sweet experience and I am glad you blogged it so we don't forget... but you also forgot to mention how she followed dad around all night calling him "Sister Riley".. =)

Heather O. said...

That's the kind of kid you just want to squeeze and squish until you both fall down laughing. I hope you did some of that.

care bear said...

I didn't expect to cry this morning - but, I can't seem to help getting all watery eyed over sweet little people and the things they teach us.

Thanks for remembering to share that one.

Trixie said...

amen