Saturday, March 15, 2008

Biker Babe

Well, not exactly.  It's not as edgy and cool as that.  Think more along the lines of spandex shorts that hit right at the meatiest part of  a lady's thigh, dorky red bike helmet, borrowed bike gloves, neon yellow shirt and a pair of bright white, $5 sunglasses.  It ain't purdy, but I am over that by now.  

Riding out of the garage and down the hill is a breeze.  Then it's left at the first turn and on up the hill to the main road that takes us along the coast.  Most of the time, we go south towards the boy's school.  Bumpy but at least it's a  downhill start.  With our bikes and teeth rattling we buzz through the round about, weeeee.  Fun's over.   Let the hills begin. 

On school mornings, when we're racing the boys to class in the bright blue car ( I call it my Hot Wheels car) the road stretches out like a roller coaster.  It's a whoopdeedoo road.  On a bike it's a brutal tease of up and down.  You get the sweet downhill for a moment or two before you're back to it, powering up the hill one section at a time. 

 I have learned to switch gears quickly, though I couldn't tell you what they're called.  Adjust the black button on the right handle bar on the way down.  Use the silver hooky bob on the front of the same handle bar for the uphills.  The concept is reversed on the opposite handle. For a real monster uphill I will push the black button on no occasion  the silver hooky bob because that's for very fast descent and I am afraid I'll press too hard and topple head over heels at top speed.  No thanks. 

It's a dirty business.  I sweat and strain.  My legs burn.   Sunscreen melts into my eyes and makes me cry.  But, just lately, I have begun to attack the hill just as I near the top by standing in the pedals and using my arms to pull and my  body weight to press for each downward pedal stroke.  I feel very strong and intimidating when I do that.  (Roooaaar!)

Mostly I ride with my biker dude partner, Bart, also my husband.  Usually I follow him.  He's a leader and knows where he wants to go, plus he's stronger and creates a draft for me.  That means if I ride close behind him, there's a pull.  We're like magnets.  It's amazing how in that position I can coast along while he does most of the work.  I really like that.  What I don't like is feeling like he has to wait for me.  

It happened this morning.   We were returning from a ride out to have breakfast at the bay.  He was up there going full steam into a head wind and up a hill, probably thinking that I would be hot on his heels.  I wasn't.  My ego wouldn't allow it for long. I  waved him on, shouting up to him  "Go ahead, I know the way home."    He wasn't having that.  "We're fine at this pace.  It's all the same distance."   I struggled to keep from insisting.   Back in his draft my legs got a rest and soon we were battling up the last hill with me only 10 feet back.  It was a nice finish to a long ride.  Ego's really aren't in our best interest, are they.

To be honest, I have only been out twice by myself.  It's good to go alone as well, but I'll always opt for my partner given the choice.  

A few things I have learned from biking:

1.  Don't forget your water.  Drink it.
2.  Make sure and unclip one foot from your pedal at a stoplight.  Make that ANYTIME you stop.  
3.  Hills are never as bad as they seem.  Sometimes they're worse.
4.  Don't go out of the bike lane without checking first.  Remember the big trucks.
5.  Be confident.  It's just a bike.  
6.  Adjust your gears for the work you're doing.
7.  Keep good form.  Heels down.  Push and pull.
8.  You'll be more surprised at how strong you are than how weak you are.
9.  Be a good follower.  Don't criticize.  Definitely tuck into that draft, baby!
10.  When it's your turn to lead, enjoy the front!

There's more but let's save it for later.  Every ride teaches me something new. 

  

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! I just got caught up reading all your most recent lovely posts. Again, you have inspired me! Reading about your she-man efforts on the bike makes me want to go out and take a long run. Or something.

Thanks for keeping us updated. You're hilarious. Be safe out there on your bike.

care bear said...

Kelli,

We all know there ain't nothin' that could make you look anything less than purdy! :)

Last bike ride I took (spring 07) a bee chased me for miles I tried to go faster to get away - it landed on the lense of my glasses.

Have you seen the scene in Everafter where the step sister freaks out in front of the Queen?


Tami

care bear said...

I miss spelled lens - oops!

Dawn said...

I have to agree with nicole, I feel like going outside for a nice long run now. Thanks we all need a good reminder of being a biker babe.