Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wet and Wild

Hey, how yoa goin? It's incredibly difficult to copy an Aussie "o". It has a bit of a 'ya' to it?

No worries.

We had quite an adventure today. I thought I would put on my Amazing Mom hat, rarely used I am afraid, and take the boys off to a museum in Sydney. Let me back up.

It's another business trip. Last minute just like the trip to the outback only this time we are in a lovely hotel, Sheraton on the Park, in downtown Sidney. Believe me, when you come for your visit (yes, I am expecting LOTS of company!) you'll definitely want to add a skip over this way. This is tourist season and the tickets were about $350 each on short notice so...

O.K. so we head out walking. We buy breakfast and eat it in the gigantic park across the street before the big museum attraction. I might add that neither Jeremy or Riley were the slightest bit interested in going to a museum but since they are truant (as in, NOT ATTENDING A SCHOOL because of visa problems) and their mother is worried about their intellectual future, and going to jail? - they were going along with this great "field trip" idea of mine.

It was a long walk. They were thrilled that it was closed except for Sat and Sun to the general public. And yes, it hurt to hear that they only allow schools for their field trips during the rest of the week.

We ended up down at the harbor, Circle Quay. It was a nice and warm and the friendly agents at the boat ramp looked good hearted enough as they joked and teased us to come along. It wasn't 5 minutes later that we had handed over an outrageous amount of $$ for a jet boat outing. The seat belts and rubber ponchos should have alarmed me but it only lured me in further. I mean how bad could it be? And who needs a poncho on such a grand day on a boat? Wimps. Not us!

Soaked, I tell you. Sopping, dripping, squishing we were. He purposely drenched us, let us dry out some and then started the whole process over again. Was it awesome? Yes, it was. We had such a view of the bay and the beaches (inluding a darling cove with rocks and, hmmm, did I mention the nudists?) I have never had such ride! The boys had the prime seats right at the front. I don't know how they survived. It was constant waves washing over their heads with the occasional breath of air. You know it was extreme when Jeremy tell me later that he almost raised his fist (the universal sign of "STOP THE BOAT") but didn't want to ruin the ride for the rest of us. We all decided it was a must have but only once life experience and the view of the coast and activity of ships moving throughout the harbor was the best. Well worth it!

Well, the boys are waiting up in the room and some old guy is hanging over my shoulder waiting for internet access.

Much love too you all from Sydney and the Packers.

5 comments:

care bear said...

Did I remember to tell you my - don't get you camera wet tip?

Always have a zip lock bag on hand to put your camera in : )

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Holly said...

If you don't use that amazing mom hat so much, could you mail it to me? =)

Leah Miller said...

Sounds like you are having quite the adventure...I want to come visit!

btw- Caroline and Kristin have taken over the running group. The first line of business was to move the starting time from 7 AM to 8 AM. When we get together we reminisce about the days when it was scheduled for 6:30 AM (thanks to you)!!! We sure miss you! Oh, I am sure you will be happy to know that I am running about a 12 minute mile these days. SAD STORY.

Heather O. said...

ok, even sadder is that I can hardly keep up with Leah's 12 minute mile, and Kristyn--the woman is a MACHINE. She makes us all look like total slackers. Did you possess her body, or do some weird mystical thing so she can channel you? She passed me on a hill saying, "It's all mental, baby, it's all mental".

Yeah, I'll show you mental.

And just to throw in another juicy piece of gossip, Mr. Kristyn got a technical foul at a W&M B-ball game. He told his young daughter, "Now, I don't want you to think what I did tonight was okay".

Good times, good times. Wish you could be here to laugh with us all.

Trixie said...

It's about time you had a blog, and thanks for sending me the address:) Miss you, hate you cause you get to be near the beach! Sean and I are definitely going to have to come and visit!!