Thursday, May 8, 2008

Straddy Sunrise





 Monday, pre-dawn, I walked out to the beach in the dark and sat up on the dune overlooking a huge ocean overhung by an enormous sky. 

 At first, it was stars and the sound of waves rushing and the invigorating, cool breeze off the water.  I wondered if I should go back for a jacket but surrendered the notion completely as the scene began to change. 

I began to sense motion in the black sea. Light appeared in the horizon.  Clouds took on color and form.  Moment by moment our gigantic, rising sun brought me, as it does quite simply every day, a beautiful new morning.

I walked down the beach overwhelmed to be alone with all of that beauty.  I thought about life, (I do that a lot.  Comes with the gray hair!))  how light changes the way we see things.  The more light became available the more glorious my setting became.  Absolutely nothing was needed other than that availability of life giving sunshine to transfom my entire world.  

And then there was nothing.  Quiet nothing time.  Almost boring really.  Without a hand to hold or an arm to snuggle me the grandeur of it waned.  I turned back, picked up my pace (and a black shoe, a child's sandal, and a plastic bottle) and went back to my family.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Gorgeous pictures, Kelly! Thanks for sharing your peaceful moment!

Heather O. said...

The other day, Nate took the kiddos and I found myself luxuriating in a few hours alone. But I soon realized that alone is only wonderful when you know that it won't last very long. It's the sharing (oversharing? :grin:) that makes life fun.

Thanks for a terrific post.

Amy G. said...

so beautiful! i didn't realize you were so close to the beach. that's awesome! thank you for your life's ponderings. a real jack handy in the making if you ask me :)