Thursday, May 8, 2008

I'm Getting Old

I notice my jowels (sp?) now.  They're beginning to sag, just like Grandma Hooten's did.  She was a beautiful woman but she did have heavy, baggy cheeks.  I love her.  I don't like my stage 2 jowels.  My  mom doesn't have them, by the way.  Don't ask me why I get them.

Gray hair is popping out of my head in very obvious places.  My little sister, Liz, used to pick them out "back in the day", just 10 years ago.  She would rummage around, find one and "plunk," it was out.  We would laugh, examine it and toss it aside.  Just a novelty, a silly distraction, sisterly bonding.  No big deal.  Now they're invasive.  I can see them clearly in recent pictures of me. 

My mother in law bought me a magnified mirror.  It's beautiful.  She has one and I had never considered asking for one like it, until last year.  I found myself borrowing hers to hunt down and remove the unlady like black hairs growing from my chin.  That mirror is incredible for that but it's been alarming to see my skin up that close.  I won't go into detail.  It's just too, well, yucky.  (I am trying to stay in denial as to the aging of my skin at this point).

There's more.  Today I realized that I am pushing pills on my  husband.  I give him one for his prostate (why take a chance?!), a multi-vitamin (the best I could buy), 2 vitamin C, and one called Gastro Health.  That one's tricky because you have to take it 30 min before you eat.  The vitamin is supposed to be taken with a meal.  Most of the time I can get most of it into him.  Today he reminded me that he's only humoring me.  I teased, "I gotta take good care of my man!"  As I walked back upstairs with his empty pill cup I knew my age.  

I know it.  I embrace it.  It's what I've wanted all along and I am getting it!!  Yeah!!!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

OK, this might be funny if it wasn't about ME! Oh my gray hairs sneakin up on me! Not to the pill stage yet....well, I guess I do take calcium. And a prenatal. And a cinnamon capsule....it's supposed to help regulate blood sugar. Hmmmm....right there with you babe.

Heather O. said...

Happens to the best of us, babe. The only difference is that the rest of us can't run girls half our age into the ground, and then bench press them as they lay dying...

Julie said...

May I look as haggered as you are please. Maybe it's your very mundane life of jumping off cliffs with waterfalls, sailing with sting rays, horse back riding in Mongolia and who knows what.